President Donald Trump on Thursday angrily lashed out at the New York Attorney General's office after it sued his family for allegedly conducting multiple illegal operations via the purportedly nonprofit Trump Foundation.
The suit centers on a "pattern of illegal conduct by the Foundation and its board members includ [ing] improper and extensive political activity, repeated and willful self-dealing transactions, and failure to follow basic fiduciary obligations or to implement even elementary corporate formalities required by law".
The lawsuit seeks to dissolve the foundation, Ms Underwood said. The suit seeks to bar Trump from running a NY non-profit for the next decade, while instituting a one-year ban for Donald Jr., Ivanka, and Eric.
Trump responded on Twitter, taking aim at former New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, who resigned after reports of domestic violence abuse, and his successors. He promised to shut it down in 2016 but could not while the NY investigation was ongoing.
The lawsuit says the foundation illegally helped support the Republican's campaign by raising money at a nationally televised fundraiser in January 2016, then allowing campaign staffers to dictate how the money was spent in grants. I won't settle this case!,' he wrote.
Jose Mourinho Reportedly Withdraws Manchester United Interest in Danny Rose
The midfielder only played sporadically after starting four consecutive Premier League games early on in the season. "I don't know what is going to happen", the 29-year-old said.
Underwood also asked that Trump be banned from leading any other state nonprofit for 10 years - seeking to apply a penalty usually reserved for the operators of small-time charity frauds to the U.S. president.
She also sent referral letters to the Internal Revenue Service and the Federal Election Commission for possible further action, adding more weight to the legal troubles the president faces. The board, though, had not met since 1999, and Underwood asked that the Trump children be banned from serving as director of any NY nonprofits for a year.
'As our investigation reveals, the Trump Foundation was little more than a checkbook for payments from Mr. Trump or his businesses to nonprofits, regardless of their goal or legality, ' Underwood said in a statement to The Post.
The foundation could not immediately be reached for comment. "This is unconscionable - particularly because the foundation previously announced its intention to dissolve more than a year and a half ago".
"This is politics at its worst", the foundation said in a statement.