Air Force takes responsibility for database crisis involving Texas gunman

Share

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis says he has directed the Pentagon's watchdog to examine the circumstances of the Air Force's failure to report the Texas church shooter's domestic violence conviction to the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

But Kelley was serving in the US Air Force at the time of his conviction, which means his case was handled via a court-martial. The ex-wife's mother was a congregant at First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs but was not at services on Sunday, when Kelley went on his rampage there.

Even hawkish and pro-military politicians have expressed horror at the Air Force's failure to report the charge, which could have potentially prevented the tragedy.

KPRC-TV also reported the police officers who detained Kelley at an El Paso bus terminal after his escape were told he previously had been caught sneaking firearms onto Holloman Air Force Base, N.M., where he was stationed, and that he planned to carry out death threats against his military superiors.

Khune arrives in Polokwane, likely to play for Bafana Bafana against Senegal
Now, it remains to be seen who Head Coach Baxter will call-up to replace Kekana in the national team setup. "Whether that's a permanent decision‚ I don't know".

However, this is not the first time that this has happened: since the Lautenberg Amendment passed, the Pentagon has known about the failures of the USA military to report court-martials to civilian law enforcement. Pentagon begins pulling back ships from Puerto Rico Michael Steele: Trump's feud between Flake and others is personal, not political MORE (R-Ariz.) is promising "rigorous oversight" after the Air Force revealed it did not add the suspect in a deadly Texas church shooting to a database that would have banned him from buying a gun. Fingerprint cards were not submitted to the Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal history files in more than 80 percent of cases in the Army and Navy, and 38 percent in the Air Force.

The Pentagon report found that the Air Force did not submit the fingerprints of at least 110 convicted airmen during the period between 2010 and 2012. The USAF has initiated a review as to why Kelley's case, and cases like his, were never reported to the NICBCS.

Authorities identified the gunman as 26-year-old Devin Patrick Kelley.

On that date, a military jury handed down a bad conduct discharge confinement for 12 months, as well as a reduction in rank to E-1 status.

Share